Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Double Chocolate Chip Muffins [vegan]


   There has been an uncharacteristic dearth of chocolate recipes around here lately. Time to remedy that.

  
I may have mentioned this before, but I currently work at a coffee shop. Naturally we sell coffee, but we also sell things that go nicely with coffee, like delicious desserts. Such as giant sugary double chocolate chip muffins.


    I did try on before I cut out dairy and eggs, and they were rich and delicious and made me terribly sick about five minutes post consumption, but my goodness, those five minutes were heavenly. Though at this point I’m fairly desensitized to the shop’s baked goods, they do occasionally bring on a longing for desserts. Though I no longer want those muffins in particular, they make me want a homemade version of themselves, which is really just out of the frying pan into the proverbial fire, cravings-wise, but whatever.


     I made these chocolatey darlings in an attempt to create a healthier, lighter alternative to the heavy, dairy-laden ones at work, and I feel I’ve succeeded. These muffins are choclatey, rich, and have a moist inside contrasting to an almost crisp outer texture that I found especially appealing.


   So much so, that I ahve yet to make them again. I may have eaten nothing but these muffins for an entire day. And by “may have”, I mean I did. And by “nothing but”, I mean I ate eight of them.

    You probably shouldn’t do that.

   But you should make these. 


Double Chocolate Chip Muffins [vegan]
Inspired by this recipe

1 ½ c whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ cup dark cocoa powder
½ c sugar
¾ c dark chocolate chips + ¼ for topping
1 c almond milk
1/3 c canola or coconut oil, liquid
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400.
Combine all dry ingredients, including chocolate chips.
In another bowl, mix your wet ingredients.
Pour wet into dry. Add to greased or muffin-wrapper lined muffin tin, filling about 2/3 of the way up and sprinkling with remaining chocolate chips.
Bake for 20 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Or cleanish.

Eat. Eat them all.


No comments:

Post a Comment